Sunday, June 9, 2013

Goals for the rest of 2013

Since late last year I had some plans about what I wanted to accomplish this year in terms of technical knowledge and programming.  The ideas have been floating in my head, and I have already accomplished several, but I think it will be nice to write them here and see how I much I get done by year's end.

  1. Work with C++ again.  -  C++ was actually my first "real" programming language that I learned to the point I could build some non-trivial applications.  During my time in university, I focused on Java and C, and my C++ knowledge accumulated a fair amount of rust.  This year I plan to get back to working with C++ to the point that it becomes the go-to language when solving computational problems.
  2. Learn Qt.  -  One of the reasons for going back to C++ is that I want to do some GUI applications that can run in both Windows and Linux.
  3. Learn OpenGL.  -  I bought a book about DirectX last year and read a few chapters, but decided that OpenGL would be a better choice since I eventually want to program a game for Android, which only uses OpenGL.
  4. Review algorithms  -  It is my personal belief that I should know everything covered in a standard college algorithms course by heart, and can be able to apply the knowledge at any time.
  5. Code at least one game by December 31, 2013.  -  I've been trying to code a game since I was in high school.  It is the reason I studied Computer Engineering in school.  Too many things have gotten in the way in the past.  It is time.

No comments: